Pupils who achieve 100% attendance at the following points in the school year will be awarded bronze, silver and gold badges which are awarded in an assembly and may be worn on blazers or jumpers.
- Bronze Award - 100% attendance by October Half Term (1 half term - or one full half term later in the year)
- Silver Award - 100% attendance by March Half Term (2 half terms - or two term, Aut, Spr or Sum in the year)
- Gold Award - 100% attendance by July (Whole year)
Exceptional Leave of Absence During Term Time
Holidays during term time are not permitted. There are 175 days per year when pupils are scheduled holidays for such purposes.
Exceptional leave will be considered by the headmaster for absence which is genuinely demonstrates exceptional circumstances (such as bereavement). The school’s pro-forma must be used for exceptional leave either online or on paper.
The Governing Body permits the headmaster to authorize an exceptional absence, at his discretion, if the following conditions are met:
- there is at least 97% attendance in the current and previous academic year
- that the request represents a genuinely exceptional circumstance, and is one-off request
- any previous leave and historic attendance figures are taken into consideration
- leave is almost never permitted in the week before or after a holiday such as half term or Christmas
- The headmaster may not authorize requests where the reasons provided include reasons such as cheaper flights; exceptional circumstances usually include bereavement or severe illness
- Pupil's current levels of achievement
Please note that:
- Holidays in term time disrupt your child’s education
- The headmaster's decision is final
- Ten days absence per year is equivalent to 5.3% of your child’s education in that year
- Children who have been granted authorised absence who do not return on time on the day agreed after any authorised absence can be removed from the school roll in line with the relevant legislation
- Medical Appointments, Musical Examinations and similar or visits to local secondary schools in years 5 or 6 are always authorised – some are classified as educated off site which does not affect your child’s attendance record